SANTA ROSA, Calif., Sept. 13, 2016 Â — La Tortilla Factory today announced launch of four non-GMO lines of tortillas and wraps including a GMO-free version of its popular low carb tortilla.Â Other new product lines include non-GMO traditional tortillas, an expanded organic line, and a new line of wraps.
“More than ever, consumers are choosing fresher, simpler foods,” said Chief Innovation Officer Sam Tamayo. “We really heard them when they said they want fewer, healthier ingredients.”
The new La Tortilla Factory product lines include:
- A Market First: Low Carb Tortillas Go Non-GMO
- La Tortilla Factory updates its popular low carb line of tortillas, including simplified ingredient lists, low calorie counts, and the launch of the first-ever Non-GMO Project Verified low carb tortilla. Updated products include La Tortilla Factory’s Low Carb Whole Wheat Tortillas in large and original size and Low Carb Flour Tortillas in soft taco size. New products include a Low Carb Whole Wheat Tortilla in fajita size and Low Carb Flour Tortillas in fajita and burrito sizes.
- A Fresher, Healthier Option for Traditional Tortillas
- With authentic, verified non-GMO ingredients, La Tortilla Factory’s new Traditional line uses approximately 20% fewer ingredients than other brands. The new Traditional product line includes Flour and Whole Wheat Tortillas in soft taco and burrito sizes, a unique 50/50 Yellow Corn and Flour Tortilla, and a 50/50 Purple Corn and Flour Tortilla.
- A Natural Approach to Longer Shelf Life
- La Tortilla Factory expands its organic line of products with the launch of a new Street Taco Size Organic Yellow Corn Tortilla as well as a new Organic Sprouted Wheat Tortilla â€” both USDA Organic Certified and Non-GMO Project Verified. Each has a 21-day ambient shelf life that uses natural ingredients instead of preservatives to keep tortillas fresh.
- A Fresh New Take on Wraps
- Five new varieties of Non-GMO Project Verified wraps bring La Tortilla Factory’s fresher, simpler approach to the deli counter. New wraps include a Power Greens Wrap featuring kale, spinach, and chard, a Tomato Basil Wrap, a Traditional Flour Wrap, a Whole Wheat Wrap, and a Multigrain Wrap.
The new product lines are designed to appeal to shoppers who prefer authentic, easy-to-pronounce ingredients. They are part of a broader commitment La Tortilla Factory is making to continuous product improvement and fresher, more natural ingredients.
“Our competitors use ingredients like bleached flour, interesterified fats, artificial sweeteners, and chemical dough conditioners,” said Tamayo. “We know that today’s consumers don’t want these things in their food, so we made a conscious choice to move away from those kinds of processes and ingredients.”
The new La Tortilla Factory products will be available in stores nationally beginning in September 2016 and will feature a refreshed look and updated packaging. A new line of non-GMO wraps is planned for Fall of 2016.
About La Tortilla Factory: Â Founded in 1977 by Jose and Mary Tamayo and still Tamayo family-owned today, La Tortilla Factory is an industry pioneer that helped to bring about a major shift toward eating healthier, more Mexican-influenced foods in the U.S. In 1991 the company introduced the world’s first fat-free flour tortillas and five years later, the first low carb/low fat tortillas. With great taste and health as core values, La Tortilla Factory is now building on its tradition of innovation by bringing their consumer better options when it comes to tortillas including USDA organic and non-GMO lines of tortillas to. To learn more about La Tortilla Factory, visit www.latortillafactory.com.