The gluten-free champions of Among Friends Baking Mixes have been busy stirring up three new mixes that cover not only dessert, but also breakfast, lunch and dinner. The best friends-turned-baking-entrepreneurs will nationally debut the Papa Tom’s Perfect Pancake, Cora’s Honey Cornbread and Alec’s Awesomely Fudgy Brownie Mixes Spring 2016.
“People think of us as a cookie company, because that’s where we started, but we love to experiment with savory items, too,” said Lizann Anderson, co-founder of Among Friends. “Pancakes were a given; they’re the ultimate customizable breakfast or snack. And friends inspired us to improve on other cornbread mixes on the market. And no line is complete without a brownie – a rich, delicious, whole grain one.”
All three “friends” are certified gluten-free, made with whole grains and contain no gums, starches or fillers:
- Cora’s Honey Cornbread Mix: Named after Among Friends’ tiniest taste-tester, 3-year-old Cora has been a mainstay in the company kitchen since she could walk, thanks to her close family friendships with co-founders Lizann and Suzie. The cornbread is moist and delicious, and easily customized. Cora, however, loves it simply with a slab of butter.
- Papa Tom’s Perfect Pancake: The light and flavorful mix is made with whole grain sorghum flour, almond meal and a hint of cinnamon. The namesake is Anderson’s father, better known as Papa Tom to his grandkids.
- Alec’s Awesomely Fudgy Brownie: Anderson’s son, Alec, has been the chief taste-tester for years and has long waited for a treat to call his own. Made with Callebaut chocolate chips and premium cocoa, this brownie goes from bag to baked in less than 30 minutes.
“Sometimes it’s distracting to work down the hall from the test kitchen,” said Darcy Zbinovec, CEO of Among Friends. “But I relish the opportunity to be part of the development team, and the tastings are such a departure from my other roles. I can’t wait to roll out our new products because they serve a need in the marketplace.”
All Among Friends mixes are made with high quality, whole grain flours that offer superior taste, texture and nutrition. The entire line of cookie, brownie, cake and crisp mixes were converted to gluten-free in June 2015 because the team saw a need to provide more options for people with dietary restrictions.
“We base our entire business on the premise that homemade treats should be hassle-free and good for you. We wouldn’t give our own families anything less,” said Suzie Miller, co-founder of Among Friends. “We joke that friends don’t let friends use white flour. It’s what we do!”
Subscribe to BevNET+NOSH Today
Subscribe today and get access to the leading industry resources in the food & beverage industries. News, trends, industry data, expert analysis and much more.
Access all of these benefits:
- Unlimited access to all content on BevNET.com and NOSH.com
- Exclusive access to hundreds of educational videos
- Watch subscriber-only live programs such as Office Hours