Director of R&D
The Tofurky Company
The Director of R&D will lead and advance the reinvention of process or ingredient technologies to build differentiated offerings to the marketplace. Reporting to the President/CEO, he/she/they be responsible for crafting and shaping the department strategy and technical product briefs which drives action to operations, marketing, sales and supply chain. Strong command of product development workstreams will support rapid prototyping, benchtop validation, scale-up and trials, shelf life and food safety testing. As an expert in plant protein technology, you will be called to draw upon a network to establish systems that characterize protein activities and targeted structures for improvements to core or NPD items.
As an experienced leader the Director of R&D will optimize workstream timelines, internal/cross departmental communications systems, formula systems, ingredient specifications and FDA regulatory tracking, ensuring transparency in progress to the organization.
- Represents the voice of the customer when engaged in product development
- Understands plant-based CPG manufacturing processes; with ability to document workstreams for future formulas or technical improvements
- Manages a roster of suppliers and functional ingredient insights, for present/future application work
- Responsible for oversight of all renovation; scoping both individual product tracks as well as department roadmap, & budgets
- Current on food technologies, products, packaging, product design, category trends and related fields
- Tests and understands differences/limitations between benchtop and scale productions for continuous improvement
- Provides QA/QC support for manufacturing with product handling documentation, food safety priorities and thermal processing knowledge
- Ability to convey original ideas, and design experiments to test them and ensures technical feasibility of projects
- Ability to manage, motivate and develop individual team members; tracking progress toward goals
- Provides information for management by preparing dashboards, analyses, reports, and recommendations
- Maintains knowledge, understanding, and adheres to safety policies, USDA, GMP’s, QA, HACCP, Sanitation rules and regulations, and company policies
- High value service provider to NPD team; evaluating external prototype submissions (quality, cost, efficiency,) pilot and production floor equipment specifications and problem solving for process work-arounds
What skills and education you’ll need:
- Demonstrated understanding of Food Science/Food Technology/Process Engineering, or closely related field
- 7-10 years product development experience in the food industry with at least 5 years in a leadership role
- Solid understanding of food industry standards of quality & food safety
- The ability to act decisively and effectively deal with change
- Experience working in a fast-paced, high intensity environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Fluency in design thinking process and approaches
- The ability to partner with cross-functional stakeholders to gather consensus and alignment.
- A data-driven mindset with a strong attention to detail
- Competitive salary, dependent on experience.
- 100% employer paid comprehensive medical and vision coverage, 80% employer paid dental benefits.
- Auto-enrollment in Tofurky profit sharing program and eligibility for 401K contribution + match.
- Employer paid Term Life Insurance, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability Insurance.
- Company paid Personal Time Off and Holiday time.
What we’ll do:
We know you’re valuable and we’ll work hard to keep you challenged. You’ll have an opportunity to work in our new office and manufacturing facility built to LEED specifications on the waterfront in beautiful Hood River, OR. The qualified candidate will receive:
At Tofurky, we don’t all have exactly the same beliefs about diet, sustainability, or what goes best with french fries. We’re not a monoculture (and we like it that way). But we can all get behind our mission of respect: whether it’s respect for our shared planet, for all species, for human health, or for our community and workforce.
The Tofurky Company values a diverse workforce. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Tofurky Company provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Tofurky Company complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.