We believe the right food can heal us. We harness the power of simple, clean, and responsible ingredients so that all people can get back to feeling human.
When we first realized we needed to “Get Back to Human,” we were in the same place a lot of people are today. We tried to live a “healthy” lifestyle — avoided junk food, exercised, read some labels — but we knew we could feel and perform better. Inspired by Jordan’s extensive health and wellness readings and self- experiments and Jason’s successful battles with auto-immune disease, co-founders Jordan Brown, Jason Karp, and Jessica Karp wanted change. Jordan hung up his corporate suit and immersed himself in all things nutrition and food. The trio experimented and researched the gut-brain connection, the causes of systemic inflammation, and the impact of certain foods and additives on our health, immunity, and performance. When all was said and done, the answer was pretty clear: replacing weird, industrial ingredients with simple, healthier ones was the key to thriving, not just surviving. Motivated by their health and wellness learnings, they set out to create a food brand that brought to life their newfound passion and human-centric philosophy.
Today, Hu makes a variety of delicious snacks and confections, including our award-winning dark chocolate bars, chocolate-covered nuts and fruit, and grain-free crackers. We aim to be a brand that leads with taste and nutrition, while balancing that ambition with a human-centric focus on purpose, sustainability, and ethical sourcing. We’re on a journey to get all people back to feeling human.
About the Role
Hu is looking for a chocolate-loving Controller to join our Finance team, reporting directly to the CFO. A great candidate will have a strong knowledge of accounting and reporting processes. This role assumes primary responsibility for driving effective P&L processes, and monitoring results through strategically driven decision making. It is a critical role with strong connections to the Mondelez venture arms reporting team. The individual in this role will provide essential oversight to business performance, variance identification, key monthly and quarterly reporting and controls compliance.
- Lead the company’s monthly and quarterly reporting process, collaborating across teams to understand variance drivers and key risks and opportunities.
- Develop and maintain timely and accurate financial statements and reports that are appropriate for the users and following Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and corporate governance policies.
- Preparation of management reports, budget variance analysis, journal entries, accruals, account reconciliations, review of team members' work, and other ad hoc projects.
- Inventory cost analysis, reconciliation, bill of material costing maintenance and monthly journal entries.
- Act as project manager for financial audits and annual tax filings, coordinating tasks internally and interacting with external CPAs as needed.
- Actively be involved in and oversee current team responsible for all accounting operations, including A/R, A/P, G/L accounting, payroll, cashflow forecasting, etc.
- Lead the Company in building, improving and maintaining a strong internal control environment over all financial transactions, including managing MAP implementation under the guidance of Mondelez Internal Controls.
- Responsible for property tax and state tax filings, including maintaining Avalara setup.
- Accepts responsibility for the organizational goals by taking ownership of new and different duties and identifying new opportunities within the Finance department.
- A complete analysis of periodic financial results (P&L, B/S and Cash flow) with variance explanations and highlighting issues and recommendations to CFO.
- Liaise with Mondelez venture arms reporting team as a key Hu business contact to provide all monthly and quarterly results in accordance with company requirements and policies.
- Special ad hoc analyses including running scenario analysis to support key strategic decisions.
- Prepare and participate in monthly business reviews with finance and executive teams.
- Deliver high quality work with integrity.
Are you maniacally detail oriented? Are you obsessed with constant improvement and efficiency? Then Hu would be honored to have your help.
The requirements of the role are:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Accounting, CPA preferred
- At least 7+ years of finance and accounting experience preferably in the manufacturing and/or consumer packaged goods industry.
- Solid Accounting background, exceptional analytical skills, and adept at identifying trends and variances.
- High level of professionalism and ability to effectively communicate information with internal and external stakeholders in a positive and influential manner.
- Deep experience with Netsuite, G-Suite, Dropbox, and Microsoft Office required.
- Strong Excel skills - must be comfortable analyzing and manipulating large data sets.
- Exceptional communication skills; ability to interact with and persuasively present financial results to all levels of management with a maniacal attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to handle multiple projects in a fast paced, rapid growth start-up environment.
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills with a focus on teamwork, growth mindset and process improvement
Equal Opportunity Employment
As Hu’s values state, we use our company to create positive impact for all humans. We seek to recruit and include people with a diversity of abilities, backgrounds, and cultures to better serve our diverse community of customers. Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Persons with Disabilities. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination under Federal law.