Packaging & Cellar QA/QC Lead position
Deep River Brewing Company
Packaging & Cellar QA/QC Lead position will be responsible for helping with tasks to execute quality standards. He/she will work under the supervision of the production manager to perform day-to-day analytical testing, quality checks and responsible for all packaged product.
Including, but not limited to:
- Daily sample collection including sterile samples
- Performs daily quality checks including Starting & Finishing Gravities, pH, Yeast Count & Viability, IBUs, Color, DO, TPO, etc for each batch in accordance with SOPs
- Collecting tasting samples and helping maintain a daily sensory panel
- Communicating with brewery personnel and management regarding quality control issues
- Daily data entry and maintenance of QC spreadsheets including record keeping, trending, and data analysis
- Making differential agar and plating for bacterial and wild yeast growth for in-process and packaged products
- Assisting in the maintenance of laboratory equipment
- Trains staff in laboratory methods and procedures
- Maintains a clean, functional lab environment
- Recommends new or updated QA/QC checks with focus on continuous improvement of QA/QC program
- Maintain lab inventory
- Audits SOPs with focus on critical control points as related to quality.
- Be responsible for the upkeep, maintenance, and repairs on the canning line and ancillary equipment
- Operating autoclave, ATP meter, and incubator and other laboratory equipment.
- Operate yeast propagator
- Count, pitch and propagate yeast for each production batch
- Run canning line at all times and direct staff to assist in operation
- Develop and maintain maintenance records & SOPs for canning line and ancillary equipment.
- Develop and maintain QA/QC records for product, canning line and ancillary equipment.
- Train fellow co-workers on canning operations
- Assist in day to day in general beer brewing and packaging operations.
- Clean and fill kegs and casks
- Clean tanks
- Clean and maintain the keg washing and milling areas
- Assist brewing team with graining-in and cleanup
Credentials and Experience
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree, science field preferred/ or 2 years proven lab experience can substitute for degree.
- Experience: Prior lab or brewing experience is encouraged but not required
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Ability to multitask and work at a fast pace
- Attention to detail; ability to produce accurate, precise, and reproducible data
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel
- Optimistic, self-motivated, positive attitude
- Ability to work as a part of a team
- Ability to take initiative, act promptly, and be proactive
- Passion for quality beer!
- Strong work ethic
- Familiarity with ASBC standard methods of analysis
- Ability to frequently lift and move up to 100 pounds at a time
- Ability to stay seated at a desk for extended periods of time, as well as ability to stand, move around and climb ladders
- The work environment can include areas that are wet and non-temperature controlled
- Work environment conditions vary often with fluctuating temperatures, noise, and moisture level.
- Work takes place around potentially hazardous machinery, and chemicals.
- Personal Protective Equipment and standard operating procedures are enforced to ensure employee safety.
- Additional duties may be required. Deep River Brewing Co. reserves the right to change duties, responsibilities, and activities at any time with or without notice.
- Medical/Dental/Vision insurance
- Paid holidays
- Vacation days
- 401k program
- Beer stipend