Hacienda Beer Company
Hacienda Beer Co. is seeking an experienced brewer for immediate hire to join our production team in Baileys Harbor, Wisconsin. We are looking for someone with uncompromising commitment to quality and continuous improvement with exceptional motivation, work ethic, and professionalism.
This is a multifaceted position. The Lead Brewer’s primary role will be to lead all wort production on our 2-vessel 15-barrel QTS brewhouse and work directly with our Director of Brewing Operations to develop new recipes, improve quality and consistency, and manage our oak cellar (including a koelschip, 3 foeders, and 60+ oak barrels). The candidate will also be expected to assist in cellaring, canning, bottling, and warehouse management on a weekly basis.
If you are meticulous about sanitization, hitting target gravities and mash temperatures, and increasing efficiencies and yields in the brewhouse, we want to hear from you.
All applicants must be willing to move to Door County, WI—a picturesque area along Lake Michigan in Northern Wisconsin that has a heavy influx of seasonal residents. This position requires flexibility to assist where needed and can provide many growth opportunities in the future.
To apply, please send your resume, a short cover letter, and a minimum of 3 professional references to email@example.com.
- Responsible for wort production on a 15-bbl brewhouse—including but not limited to raw material handling, milling, mash/lauter operation, wort boiling, cooling, and brewhouse CIP.
- Ability to strictly adhere to established recipes, processes, and SOPs—while providing suggestions on improvements.
- Assist in cellaring of beers—CIPs, sanitizing equipment, managing fermentation schedules, yeast harvesting, dry hopping, ingredient additions, etc.
- Assist in packaging on a weekly basis—canning, bottling, and kegging.
- Assist in lab measurements—yeast counts, DO readings, gravities, pH, diacetyl tests, etc.
- Maintain detailed records of all work performed.
- Maintain warehouse and equipment cleanliness and organization.
- Assist in preventative maintenance of all brewery equipment.
- Assist in management of raw materials, chemicals, and packaging components.
- Collaborate on new recipe development.
- Represent brand in a professional manner at both on- and off-site festivals and events.
- Prioritize safety of yourself and others at all times and strive to constantly improve the safety of your work environment.
- A minimum of 1 year of professional brewing experience.
- Experience in brewing a wide variety of beer styles—but with a specific emphasis on IPA, lager, stout, and mixed culture saison.
- Experience in recipe formulation.
- Experience with brewery maintenance and upkeep—and maintaining a regular preventative maintenance schedule.
- Must be tuned in to the critical factors that dictate beer quality and have great tasting skills.
- Experience with barrel work and mixed culture beer production (preferred).
- Experience operating a forklift (preferred).
- Ability to work within a robust safety culture.
- Must be a dedicated hard worker with a level head.
- Must be naturally driven to remain organized and keep a tidy and clean workspace.
- Ability to work independently and manage time very well.
- Ability to work efficiently as a part of a highly collaborative team.
- Good communication skills.
- Proficiency in Google Sheets/Microsoft Office Suite.
- Able to lift 55 lbs overhead.
- Able to maneuver equipment in tight spaces.
- Able to stack and maneuver 165 lb kegs.
- Able to work on your feet for 8+ hours at a time.
- Able to work in tight spaces where twisting, reaching, and climbing is required.
- Able to work in a production environment where the noise level is usually moderate to loud and warehouse temperature fluctuates according to the weather.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Pay will be based on candidate’s experience and education.
- Medical and dental insurance.
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- 401(k) plan.
- Numerous job-related perks.
About Hacienda Beer Co.:
Hacienda Beer Co. was launched in 2017 as an experimental side project to Door County Brewing Co. Hacienda focuses on creating modern, experimental beers—where our goal is to utilize creative brewing processes and ingredients to showcase bold and unique aromas and flavors in beer. Since its inception, Hacienda has made a name for itself for its highly flavorful and expressive beers, covering the full spectrum of beer styles—from subtle lagers and mixed-ferment saisons to expressive IPAs to bold imperial stouts.
We have two taprooms serving our beer—our Music Hall in Baileys Harbor and our North Ave. Taproom in Milwaukee. These taprooms provide us with a direct feedback loop with our loyal customer base and give us the opportunity to tell our story through beer. Hacienda is distributed to select markets in Wisconsin and Illinois.
In three years, Hacienda has been named one of the 12 Best New Breweries of 2018 by Hop Culture Magazine, been nominated as one of the Best New Breweries in the Country by USA Today in 2020, and won a Silver Medal at the 2019 Festival of Wood and Barrel-Aged Beer in Chicago.