Lagunitas Brewing Company
There’s Always a Seat at Our Bar
The Lagunitas Brewing Company began on a kitchen stove in Northern California in 1993 and has always looked to the future – whether supporting local communities by turning beer into money for the cause, or fueling stories, songs, and experiences with our IPA. Wherever you go: Beer Speaks, People Mumble.
About the Role
A brewer at Lagunitas Brewing Company is responsible for monitoring all aspects of wort production in a Rolec 250 BBL / 80BBL brewhouse as well as transitioning the batch into fermentation. While in filtration, the brewer is responsible for monitoring all aspects of beer centrifugation and filtration and ensures the product is ready for Packaging. In the cellar, the brewer is responsible for the key activities that bring wort to finished mature beer ready for transfer. This individual reports directly to the Brewing Supervisor and Brewing Manager, and has daily communication with Maintenance, Quality and Packaging as well as other team members in the Brewing department.
What You'll Do
- Rinse, vent and CIP 60, 120, 300, 500 and 750 BBL stainless steel uni-tanks.
- Abide by all company safety procedures and participate in safety trainings
- Follow and develop company SOPs
- Maintain cleanliness and order in the brewhouse and cellars
- Pull tank or inline samples and accurately perform tests
- Clean in Place (CIP) area specific lines and tanks: Brewhouse vessels, 750 BBL unitanks, Brite Beer Tanks, Centrifuge, Filter Press, Filtration Lines
- Clean Out of Place (COP) of tank parts
- Communicate and respond to out of specification critical process control points
- Accurate and legible execution of paperwork and daily computer entries into electronic brew tracker
- Train new hires on key actions in each department within the brewery
- Work with Brewing Supervisors and Brewing Managers on special assignments or projects as needed
- Handle/weigh out raw materials
- Monitor and respond to alarms for all brewing processes on a Siemens PCS7 Control System
- Select proper yeast sources for harvesting in such a way that does not delay cellar activities
- Prepare yeast lines, pumps, and storage vessels for propagation or transfer of yeast
- Complete yeast harvesting and pitching procedures
- Effectively coordinate with Brewing, Cellar, and Packaging departments to prepare beer for Packaging in an efficient manner.
- Prepare filtration lines, pumps, and bright beer vessels for filtered product
- Perform Filter Press breakdowns to remove spent filter pads and solids
- Executes required daily yeast and cold trub removals
- Prepares stages and executes daily requirement of dry hopping (approximately 65% of the time spent working each day will involve some facet of dry hopping).
- Ability to pull tank samples and accurately perform daily density and pH readings as well as perform cell counts
- Provides support to the Head Brewer or Supervisor to fulfill casks and firkin orders.
- Prepares, fills and transfers beer to and from wooden barrels
- Adhere to all safety standards set by Lagunitas and OSHA.
- Actively participate in safety meetings, audits, and good catch program.
- Other tasks and duties as assigned.
What We’re Lookin’ For
- Experience working with a 50 BBL or larger brewing system preferred
- Experience working with a centrifuge and sheet filter preferred
- Formal training and certification from recognized brewing school (Siebel, Doemens, ABG, etc.)
- Ability to perform a variety of brewing calculations
- Strong working knowledge of CIP, COP, and sanitizing principles
- Working knowledge of pneumatic systems, industrial electricity, mechanical power, steam generation and distribution, industrial refrigeration and sanitary process piping and systems strongly preferred
- Ability to work with various computer programs including Microsoft Word & Excel
- Safety conscious first, quality minded second, efficiency driven third
- Punctual & reliable
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to work independently
- Must be a Team Player
- Must be able to multitask and work in a fast paced environment
- Strong knowledge of craft beer and the brewing process
- Ability to lift 55 lbs. repeatedly
- Must be able to pass a respirator fit test
- Ability to stoop, kneel, crawl, climb and work in tight spaces
- Ability to stand and walk for long periods of time (up to 12 hours)
- Willingness to work outside in all weather conditions
- Forklift/pallet jack proficiency required
- Must be able to work a varying/flexible schedule including holidays, weekends, and overtime as necessary.
Come as You Are
At Lagunitas, we welcome people (and dogs) from all walks of life. Anyone, regardless of their race, creed, nation of origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, veteran status, marital status, or age, has a home here. Love, progress, and acceptance will always have a seat at our bar.