Partnership Development Manager, Packaged Goods
Fair Trade USA
Fair Trade USA (FTUSA), is an internationally-renown social enterprise that promotes sustainable development and corporate social responsibility. Founded in 1998, FTUSA is the leading independent third-party certifier of fair trade products in North America. Its unique market-based model for sustainability links millions of farmers, workers and fishers in impoverished communities around the world to leading brands and retailers via more direct, equitable trading partnerships. Fair Trade USA has emerged as one of the most promising models of conscious capitalism today.
Fair Trade USA is recognized for improving the working conditions and living standards of farmers, workers and fishers by enabling them to earn additional income to invest in their communities and in protecting their local environments. At the same time, it works with brands and retailers to help make sustainability a driver of profitability for the business community.
For today’s conscious consumer, Fair Trade USA provides a way to align values with purchasing decisions. Its widely recognized and trusted Fair Trade Certified™ seal on a product signifies that it was made according to rigorous fair trade standards that promote sustainable livelihoods and safe working conditions, protection of the environment and strong, transparent supply chains.
Since inception, FTUSA has channeled over $830 million in additional income to hardworking families and communities around the world. It currently partners with over 1400 brands in over 30 different product categories in the U.S. and beyond.
The Partnership Development Manager, Packaged Goods, will support brand partners, manufacturers, and prospective customers to drive impact and supply chain resiliency through the purchase of Fair Trade Certified™ ingredients.
You will develop, cultivate, and manage partnerships with brands and manufacturers, helping them to incorporate Fair Trade into their businesses. You will also lead new business outreach and engagement, continually identifying new prospects and business segments to penetrate for growth of impact.
Day-to-day, this means (a) identifying new prospects, educating them about the importance of Fair Trade, and exploring how it solves problems for their business, (b) supporting growth with current partners to increase their Fair Trade commitments, and (c) developing strategies to expand Fair Trade USA’s presence and impact within relevant channels and industries.
The Packaged Goods business development team is entrepreneurial, and encourages you to develop new initiatives, refine current approaches, and distinguish unique ways to provide more value to our business partners and their clients, while increasing the volumes of Fair Trade ingredients being purchased and sold.
Partner Acquisition and Product Expansion
- Source, pitch and negotiate new business and collaborate with internal and external teams to execute business development initiatives
- Generate new leads, identify, and prioritize new brand partners and channels in alignment with Fair Trade’s strategy and goals for growth
- Create new sales opportunities from prospecting to close, and work cross-functionally between departments to identify new or existing ingredient suppliers/producers
- Develop partnership proposals including discovering objectives, defining partnership requirements, and developing value propositions
- Prepare and deliver compelling sales presentations that articulate the business, social and environmental value of Fair Trade Certified to prospective partners
- Increase the penetration of Fair Trade products in retailers’ offerings, through facilitating and supporting connections between potential Fair Trade private label and brand manufacturers and retailers.
- Build and implement prospect, channel, and/or category strategy for growth
- Own the full lifecycle of the selling process using analytics to forecast and close opportunity pipeline
- Develop and execute strategies to achieve growth and retention targets with key customers based on a comprehensive understanding of brands’ supply chains
- Support procurement, product development, and marketing teams to leverage fair trade within their respective business areas
- Boost partners’ CSR/Sustainability commitments by identifying potential fair trade ingredient conversions or sourcing strategies that align with growth and expansion goals,
- Co-develop market activation plans with partners to support new product launches, including initiatives to drive consumer engagement and sales growth
- Provide data and guidance on key Fair Trade Certified product categories (coffee, sugar, coconut, etc.)
- Maintain a strong understanding of market and customer-specific trends including customer market share, focus markets, Sustainability programs and end-products
- Ensure ongoing compliance activities are understood and maintained, including transaction reporting, product registration, and appropriate use of our seal and other marketing materials
- Plan and execute strategies and tactics to provide additional business value, and encourage growth of fair trade commitments, product conversions and launches
- Ensure partner information is accurate, complete, and up-to-date. Document all communications, contacts, and activities in Salesforce (CRM database)
- Participate in industry conferences, tradeshows, and meetings
- Work with the Fair Trade USA marketing team and our partners to identify platforms, events, and other resources to communicate and drive awareness of fair trade’s relevant value proposition
- Seek out opportunities for new industry partnerships in order to build the Fair Trade brand
Skills, Experience, & Knowledge
- At least 3 years of B2B sales, or key/enterprise account management experience, within the food & beverage industry and/or retail grocery channel. Direct industry experience & knowledge of retail grocery or private label sales cycle highly preferred
- At least 2 years of direct experience managing a sales pipeline, generating and qualifying leads, or strategically growing accounts in an existing portfolio
- Experience with consultative selling, complex programs and long sales cycles, including upselling experience
- Outstanding oral, written, and presentation communication skills
- Generous knowledge of and/or high interest in the food industry, as well as an interest in the social/economic/environmental issues impacting sustainable agriculture
- Ability to operate with flexibility in a fast-paced, evolving environment
- Highly collaborative team player who can work cross-functionally with all levels of an organization, both internally and externally
- Curious about business problems, great listening skills, able to ask insightful questions to help you learn about a partner or prospects’ business
- Energetic and coachable, with a positive attitude and growth mindset
- Highly organized and self-motivated – you know exactly how to plan your work to meet deadlines, and are skilled at prioritizing a diverse task list
- Resilient, and assertive– you consider challenges as learning opportunities, and you’re not afraid to ask for what you want or need
Education & Training
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required
- Spanish or other language proficiency a plus
Technology & Software
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite - Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Experience with file sharing and internal communication – such as Box and Slack
- Prior experience working with a CRM system, such as Salesforce
- Generous Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Generous Dependent Medical and Dental Coverage
- 401k Investment Plan with match
- Life Insurance and Long Term Disability benefits
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Vacation Time (11 days during year 1, increases over time)
- Sick Leave (9 days per year)
- Sabbatical Leave (one 6 week paid leave after 7 years of continuous employment)
- Holidays (10 company paid holidays, 2 floating personal paid holidays, plus a paid winter break from Dec. 26 – 31)
This position can work out of Oakland, CA or Remote U.S.
We are a Proud Equal Opportunity Employer
The fair trade model is firmly rooted in themes of empowerment, advocacy, and disrupting oppressive dynamics, and as such, Fair Trade USA actively strives to embody the values of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion in our day-to-day work. As an employer, we have zero tolerance for discrimination or harassment of any type. We value and promote a work environment that is inclusive, diverse, and bound by the following principles:
- We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees.
- We proudly provide employees with a work environment that is free of discrimination and harassment.
- All employment decisions at Fair Trade are based on the needs of our organization, the requirements of the job, and individual qualifications - period.
- We prohibit work-related actions, policies, and decisions based on race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other protected status, and we will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
- We believe that a healthy and holistic work community is comprised of people of all ages, and therefore we welcome individuals of all stages in life to apply for our job openings.