Director, Ingredient Sales & Food Service
Hazelnut Growers of Oregon
The position of Director of Ingredient Sales has been created for the purpose of prospecting, identifying and generating new business opportunities in the Ingredient and food service channels which leads to profitable sales growth to achieve the annual operating plan.
This position will be responsible for making direct sales calls to key accounts and managing the broker network. Also, the sales manager is responsible for understanding managing the financial levers such as pricing, promotions and spending for these customers. The role will work closely with a cross functional team including; marketing, R&D, logistics and operations to meet the specifics needs of the Customers.
In the following description of duties, omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the job if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the job.
- Define and deliver the annual sales plan for assigned area of responsibility.
- Manage and develop relationships across key customer influencers and decision makers.
- Find, vet and evaluate new business opportunities to develop market share and increase margin.
- Gather and use all relevant market information for the input and design of the business strategy at customer, market, pricing and product level.
- Manage sales contract execution from commercial agreement to delivery on time.
- Manage sales volumes, pricing, credit issues, and contract status via interaction with the business support teams.
- Coordinate special customer requirements throughout the organization.
- Develop and manage the Broker network with specific expertise against target channels designed to service current business and significantly grow new opportunities.
- Plan and conduct quarterly/annual customer business review meetings.
- Work with R&D department to develop new products and packaging to service targeted channels.
- Customer network monitor and analyze trends for potential new products.
- Strategize about developing partnerships for existing or new product lines with complementary products and execute plan(s).
- Attend key food trade shows with focus on developing new business.
- Maintain customer database and customer specific business plan.
- Review and address customer deductions.
- Perform additional special projects and or leading project task forces for senior management to address key corporate issues and or meet corporate objectives.
- Submit and oversee sample requests.
- Submit new product & sample requests and follow-up with existing customers or potential new customers.
- Track monthly sales by customer and/or business units to verify distribution of HGO authorized products.
- Manage a travel plan and budget to ensure visits are made to appropriate customers on a timely basis to build and maintain sales relationships.
- Update weekly sales progress.
- Work with Senior leadership in planning for future growth and activities.
- Food Safety; HGO is a food processing facility and it is the responsibility of every employee to perform all job duties and other activities in a manner that upholds the safety and quality of the facilities and products produced and report all food safety issues or concerns to a Production Manager, Plant Manager or QA Management.
This position does not have supervisory responsibility.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or related field, and 10-15 years’ experience in ingredient sales with a national food manufacturer; bakery and snack sales preferred.
- Proven experience building new and existing relationships with key customers, including those in key strategic decision-making positions at headquarter level.
- Experience and familiarity with technical aspects of working with the product development / R&D team in the development of customized products.
- Must be an effective negotiator and proficient with various sales techniques and methods; i.e. experience with developing and delivering fact-based customer sales presentations.
- Understand the complexities of various food service contracts and be proficient at effectively managing their respective administrative tasks.
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 50% of the work week.
- Demonstrates strong verbal, written, and interpersonal skills; ability to effectively interact with customers, and small or large groups.
- Ability to work independently; prioritizes work, meets deadlines and manages multiple projects concurrently.
- Demonstrates strong analytical, mathematical, problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Ability to handle stress and deal with conflict
- Proficient computer skills required in Microsoft Office; Excel, Power Point, Word and Outlook.
Frequent physical activity includes sitting, hearing, speaking, close and far vision, operating a keyboard, touching, reaching, and operating a passenger vehicle. Moderate physical activity includes standing, walking, lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds.