Goose Island Beer Company
When you join our team, you’re contributing to our dream of a more open-minded world connected through beer. At Goose Island Beer Company, it’s our mission to brew beers worthy of conversations, debates and celebrations. It’s our people and our culture that help us achieve that. Together, we roll up our sleeves, we make big plans, and we do it right or make it right. Since our beginning in 1988, Goose Island made a commitment to Chicago to be a leader in the community. We’ve had the privilege and opportunity to expand outside of our neighborhood over the years. If you have the grit to stand behind community, creativity, and making great beer, we encourage you to apply. We hope to toast a few pints with you soon.
The Senior Brewmaster is responsible for the brewing operations and beer portfolio for Goose Island Beer Co. The Brewmaster leads the brewing team based in Chicago. This includes the Brewhouse, Cellar, and Barrel Warehouse teams. They also oversee the scale-up and brewing of Goose Island’s beers at other breweries to ensure quality and consistency. This individual must have a proven track record of strong leadership skills.
The Senior Brewmaster will be the brewing process expert at the Fulton St. brewery. The portfolio for Goose Island Beer Co. spans the entire spectrum of beer styles, so this individual must be confident in all raw materials and different brewing methodologies. In addition, the Senior Brewmaster will lead troubleshooting efforts and root cause analysis of any process deviations. They will seek process improvements and efficiencies all while delivering exemplary beers.
The Senior Brewmaster will work closely with the Innovations team on scale-up and delivery of new portfolio plans. They will also be key representative of Goose Island for media events, at beer festivals and conferences, and among the brewing community.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Leadership of Chicago brewing team
- Ensure department goals, budgets and KPIs are being met
- Ensure growth & development of managers, leads and shift brewers
- Provide technical guidance and assist with trouble-shooting brewing issues
- Guide team on adjustments to existing brands
- Identification of CAPEX or process improvement opportunities to help support future brand plans
- Oversight of production brewing at cross-brewing facilities
- Ensure quality & consistency of existing cross-brew brands
- Work with Brand Owner to provide technical guidance and facilitate any process or equipment changes necessary
- Work with Innovations team to guide recipe development and trials for new beers
- Provide regular sensory feedback on beers and attend Brand Owner brewery visits as needed
- Connection between Chicago brewing team and other Goose locations, other divisions of the company, and external stakeholders
- Oversee company initiatives related to raw materials, yeast, processes/equipment, etc.
- Represent Goose Island and promote beers for media events/initiatives
- Represent Goose Island and/or ensure brewing team support at applicable festivals, industry events, conferences, and sales activations
- Bachelor’s Degree in Production, Operations Management, Business Administration, or related field
- 5+ years of experience working in a production brewing environment
- Previous supervision/manager experience
- Extensive knowledge of practices, methods, tools and equipment used in production brewing
- Extensive knowledge of occupational hazards and necessary safety precautions associated with work
- Creative aptitude for developing new brands and beer styles
- Collaborative approach to working within own team and across departments and locations
- Ability to interpret technical bulletins and schematics on equipment related to work
- Proven track record of leadership skills
- Strong communication & organizational skills
- Conducts work in a sitting and standing position primarily; however, job requires frequent walking, bending, stooping, and lifting up to 40 lbs occasionally.
As a leading brewer, we are committed to finding innovative ways to continually improve. It's this kind of thinking that creates a unique work environment by rewarding talent, celebrating diversity and encouraging forward thinking. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.