Head of Sales
Willie’s Superbrew is a hard seltzer blended with real fruit. It’s gluten free and low in carbs and calories, like you’d expect from a seltzer, but there is so much more flavor because instead of artificial or “natural” flavors, we’re using real ingredients. We believe people deserve to know what’s in their drinks, those drinks should be made with real ingredients, and real ingredients taste better.
It all started when a surfer named Nico and a goat farmer named Willie met over a game of beach volleyball. Willie shared his ginger brew, and they started selling it at Cape Cod farmers markets in 2015. Five years later, we’re a growing team doing everything we can to change alcohol! With distribution across New England, New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania, Willie’s Superbrew is quickly becoming one of the largest regional hard seltzer players, all while consistently winning a reputation as the best-tasting hard seltzer on the market.
Voted the Best Hard Seltzer 2 years in a row at the first ever hard seltzer competition, Fizz Fight, and winning multiple gold medals in international competitions year after year, Willie’s has cemented itself as a craft contender in this ever-changing category. From flavor aficionados describing it as “a tasty, spiked beverage that packs more punch than the average hard seltzer” (Vinepair 2020), to industry analysts describing us as “small, but snowballing. They’re the seventh largest seltzer player in the Boston area... and the ninth largest in New England (Craft Business Daily 2020), Willie’s is a favorite across the board.
At Willie’s, we take our core values very seriously. All team members are expected to embrace and embody these values each and every day. We believe that they are the glue that keeps us all together, and keeps us moving forward, improving, and growing as individuals and as a company:
- Foster Growth
- No B.S.
- Have a Soul
- Be Curious and Innovate
- Live Responsibly
This position sits on the Senior Leadership team and is responsible for the development and performance of all sales activities for Willie’s Superbrew. You will manage, train, develop, and grow our sales team (currently 8 people, soon to be 11). You will be responsible for overseeing our communication and collaboration with our network of 21 distributors throughout the Northeast footprint to lead their growth and expansion. You will work closely with Marketing to develop plans and strategies to expand the customer base across our footprint and execute marketing programs effectively through the three tiers. You will work closely with each distributor to manage and deploy our shared budgets efficiently to grow the business. As a rapidly growing company, you will be required to wear many hats and roll your sleeves up, adapt and work alongside our team, distributor partners, and retail partners.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop an annual and quarterly business plan and sales strategy for all territories that ensures attainment of company sales goals and profitability.
- Set and manage consistent communication with distributor partners
- Develop and manage sales budget, ensuring financial goals are met within budgetary guidelines.
- Manage and deploy our shared marketing budgets with each distributor, achieving buy in for important programs and seeing through their execution
- Lead & manage successful launches of new SKUs and product lines
- Prepare weekly, monthly and quarterly action plans for individuals and teams to effectively find sales leads and opportunities to grow the business and improve relationships
- Recruit, hire and train individuals to grow new and established territories
- Work with the Sales & Marketing team to identify and pursue opportunities in the market to spread the brand via new channel programs, festivals, events, partnerships, and more
- Work closely with the Key Accounts Manager to establish and grow distribution and visibility in key accounts across all channels
- Lead the effort to establish and maintain strategic pricing and promotional strategy across distributors
- Conduct regular one-on-one meetings with your direct reports and facilitate the process for Sales Representatives to build more effective communications, understand training and development needs, and provide insight for the improvement of their performance
- Regularly use technology and data such as VIP Data and Lilypad CRM functionality to continuously improve sales execution and distributor management
- Work closely with production to manage forecasting and maintain appropriate inventory levels
- Maintain accurate records of all pricings, sales, and activity reports
- Work with the Sales & Marketing teams, retailers, and our distributor partners to build launch sequence plans from pre-launch through launch of new markets
- Work with our Brand Ambassador Program Directors to grow and allocate strategic sampling opportunities across markets
- Meet and exceed monthly sales goals for volume and displays
- Carry out tastings and events in the field as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Very organized with strong attention to detail
- Great with people
- Strong proficiency in Excel
- Proven ability to interpret and act on VIP data
- Strong ability to manage a P&L
- Excellent communication skills
- Gives and takes feedback and supports development of others
- Ready and willing to roll up sleeves & wear many hats when needed
- Access to reliable transportation
- Strong integrity and care about your impact
- Passion for the vision of Willie’s Superbrew
- Ready to work hard, learn a lot, and have a freaking blast
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience: 10+ years in alcohol industry (working with beer wholesalers primarily ideal)
- High level sales management/leadership at a brewery/cidery
- Managed team of at least 10 sales people
- Managed 25+ distributors
- Additional Experience working within a beer wholesaler preferred
- Salary and Benefits Commensurate with Experience
- Mileage Reimbursement at $0.30 per mile
- Unlimited Vacation Policy
- Multiple Healthcare Plans Offered (Through UnitedHealthcare) with 50% Employer Contribution for "Silver" plan
- Dental and Vision Insurance offered at cost to Employees
- $85 Monthly Technology Reimbursement
- 401(k) plan (no company match at this time)
- Free Superbrew and a hell of an adventure
Please Note: This Job Description is neither definitive nor restrictive and may be modified to meet changing needs. As a fast-growing startup, we need everyone to put on different hats and do what it takes to move this company forward and achieve our goals.