Assistant Brewing Manager
Boston Beer Company - Dogfish Head
We are The Boston Beer Company. We brew the best beer. We hire the best people.
We are always eager to find competitive, motivated, hardworking people who love beer and want to join our team. Think you have what it takes?
We are currently hiring an Assistant Brewing Manager in Milton, DE for Dogfish Head.
This position reports to the Brewing Manager and is responsible for leading all brewery operations and personnel within a designated process segment of the Brewing Department. Planning and scheduling activities and personnel to meet brewery schedules on a 24-hour basis. Ensure adherence to BBC quality and product specifications.
- Lead safety program, assure all employees are fully trained and continually monitor employees to verify that all safety policies and procedures are in compliance.
- Direct all brewery operations and personnel within designated process segment. This includes planning and scheduling activities and personnel to meet brewery packaging schedule on a 24-hour basis.
- Brewing/Yeast Process segment defined as all equipment and work done from raw material receiving, all brewhouse operations, HLT and CLT operations, yeast propagation, and yeast management.
- Cellaring Process segment defined as fermentation cellars, maturation cellars, final beer processing/filtration, brite beer distribution to packaging. Ensure that all products meet quality specifications before release to packaging operations.
- Participate in daily taste panel to evaluate adherence to quality specification and flavor agreement to style profile.
- Manage the financial performance in designated process segment and identifying and driving production efficiency and quality improvements to meet challenging targets.
- Manage process area sanitation to ensure compliance with GMPs.
- Develop and support a high-performance team environment in brewing operations through highly motivated, engaged brewers to build a climate of continuous improvement. Collaborate with the Brewing Manager and Director of Operations to do the same at departmental and brewery-wide levels.
- Support the hiring process of new members to the team.
- Supervise onboarding and job training of assigned direct-reports and others cross-training in your area of responsibility.
- Assign meaningful goals to direct reports, collaborate with team to drive an individual’s personal growth and knowledge beneficial to the team.
- Review the performance of direct reports through periodic 1:1 meetings, maintaining consistent contact with members of the team; develop staff professionally and technically to meet both team and individual goals.
- Execute scale-up of R&D brands to full production scale. Input new brands into the Brewmaxx automated platform. Update recipe and system parameters to ensure consistency and the highest level of system performance. Work with Automation Team to improve efficiencies of sequences and processes.
- Work directly with the Maintenance department to identify critical maintenance and repairs, schedule, support, and execute fixes and upgrades. Work with Reliability Engineer to optimize PM frequency as well as establish new PMs.
- Identify and projects that deliver quality-focused process improvements. Work with Maintenance and Engineering teams to execute.
- Identify and execute process improvements that deliver improved throughput and reduce process losses. Work with Maintenance and Engineering teams to execute.
- Coordinate all capital work in designated process segments including testing, startup, training, and SOP updates/creation.
BS in Brewing Science, Food Science, and Technology, Chemistry, Microbiology, Biochemistry, or Engineering.
- 5+ years of production brewery experience in Brewing Management in a production brewery environment.
- 5+ years’ experience working with automated control systems in a production environment.
- Proven ability to prioritize, make knowledgeable, quick decisions in a fast-paced environment.
- Proven experience managing salaried and hourly staff.
- Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude and providing exemplary customer service.
- Ability to work independently and to carry out assignments to completion, with proven experience in delivery against key KPIs.
- Collaborates well with others: proactively contributes to group objectives; volunteers to help others
- Demonstrated project/idea development skills
- Demonstrated experience fostering employee engagement and developing high-performance work team to solve problems and deliver results
- Highly effective multi-tasker; resourceful with a “get-it-done, can-do” attitude.
- Able to impact and affect positive change with a flexible, open-minded, positive approach.
- Competence in Microsoft Excel/Word and Knowledge of HACCP, cGMPs, Process Improvement, and Process Control.
- Must practice safe work methods and comply with wearing and using the proper PPE 100% of the time on the floor and always work in a safe manner.
- Ability to lift up to 60 lbs repetitively throughout the shift.
- May require 12-hour days, weekends, and holidays.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to endure on a daily basis, walking, standing, sitting, kneeling, and crouching.
Our people are our most important “ingredient.” We not only have to hire the best, but we have to reward, develop, and retain them too. We also have a variety of benefits including a competitive compensation package, extensive training programs, excellent healthcare, a discounted stock purchase plan, and a 401K program with a generous company match. Not to mention, there’s the free beer too!
Boston Beer Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to help ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Veteran’s Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who wish to request an accommodation in the job application process can contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.