Gnarly Barley Brewing
The Brewmaster role will lead and mentor the existing brewing team members and serve as the primary source of new recipe development and existing recipe optimization. The Brewmaster will join a cross-functional, product development team that includes Operations, Sales, Marketing, and Finance. The focus of the Brewmaster within the product development team includes; conceptualizing new beer profiles (or updates to existing), designing recipes, estimating bill of material costs, sourcing materials, brewing recipes (or assigning/supervising brews), critically tasting recipes, iterating recipes, scaling recipes, and managing other administrative requirements for launching or updating beers.
In addition to recipe development and optimization, the Brewmaster will join continuous improvement efforts and will be responsible for identifying process improvement opportunities and implementing best practices across the brewhouse and cellaring operations.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop recipes across many styles, but with a strong focus on modern, hop-forward beers
- Lead the recipe development cycle, including: formulating, iterating, scaling, and project managing on 5 bbl pilot system
- Train and mentor a brew staff on systems, processes, and recipe development
- Represent and participate in industry and public events as the face of the brewing team, including attending festivals, events, and conferences throughout the year
- Identify improvement opportunities in recipes, processes, and quality
- Implement best practices in brewing and cellaring processes
- Stay at the cutting edge of beer trends and styles, ingredients, brewing science, brewing processes, etc.
- Identify and lead collaboration brews with other like-minded breweries
- Manage recipes, brewing processes, and staff (including scheduling)
- Manage everything from raw materials to finished beer using Ekos software
- Responsible for all aspects of the beer production process and day to day operations of the 30 bbl production brewhouse (15,000 barrels annually)
- Responsible for the quality of beers that brewery produces.
- Raw Material Orders
Full benefits including health insurance and 401K. Compensation based on experience.