Maine State Spirit Manager
M.S. Walker, Inc.
Who we are: Founded in Boston in 1933, M.S. Walker is a 5th-generation, family-owned wine and spirits importer and distributor, a spirits bottler, and a national supplier. We serve On-Premise and Off-Premise establishments throughout the Northeast, with direct operations in Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey and Rhode Island and brokerage operations in Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont. We represent a budding portfolio of wine and spirits nationwide, including our own brands, and we strive to offer the most prestigious portfolio in the industry. M.S. Walker has built our foundation and future on our people – our employees are truly our greatest asset. Our company boasts a diverse pool of exceptionally special team members who each bring their unique skills and experience to the organization.
What we are looking for: M.S. Walker has an immediate opening for a Maine State Spirit Manager. Responsibilities include the development and performance of all sales activities. Staff and direct a sales team and provide leadership towards the achievement of maximum profitability and growth in line with company vision and values. Establish plans and strategies to expand the customer base in the marketing area.
Responsibilities (including, but not limited to):
- Responsible for the performance and development of the Sales Representatives.
- Develops a business plan and sales strategy for the market that ensures attainment of company sales goals and profitability.
- Prepares action plans by individuals as well as by team for effective search of sales leads and prospects.
- Initiates and coordinates development of action plans to gain new accounts.
- Conducts one-on-one review with all Sales Representatives to build more effective communications, to understand training and development needs, and to provide insight for the improvement of Rep’s sales and activity performance.
- Provides timely feedback to senior management regarding performance.
- Adheres to all company policies, procedures and business ethics codes and ensures that they are communicated and implemented within the team.
- Reviews pricing with the VP of sales.
- Is responsible for coordinating billing and related programs with the Control State Coordinator.
- Understands and masters the MS Walker sales tools within the MS Walker systems: EIS, VIP, Wufoo, etc.
- Is an active participant in MS Walker social media initiatives.
- Represents MS Walker when working with the Bureau of Alcoholic Beverages & Lottery Operations which includes the Bureau’s spirits administration and spirits trade marketing contractual partners.
- Follows activity in the Maine Legislature and reports impactful changes to Vice President of Control States.
- Coordinates sales meetings, trade shows, tastings, work-withs and special events.
- Develops and maintains supplier relationships; is responsible for pricing and special sales programs.
- Maintains inventory levels and sales projections.
- Introduces new items to the Bureau and to the sales staff.
- Submits price quotations, changes and sales plans to the Bureau.
- Ensures that all Sales Representatives meet or exceed all activity standards for prospecting calls, appointments, presentations, proposals and closes.
- Delegates authority and responsibility with accountability and follow-up.
- Sets examples for Sales Representatives in areas of personal character, commitment, organizational and selling skills, and work habits.
- Conducts regular coaching and counseling with Sales Representatives to build motivation and selling skills.
- Maintains contact with all clients in the market area to ensure high levels of client satisfaction.
- Demonstrates ability to interact and cooperate with all company employees.
Who you are: The ideal candidate will possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities in order to be successful in this role.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or 5 years of experience in sales.
- Solid working knowledge of Maine liquor laws.
- Strong understanding of customer and market dynamics and requirements.
- Willingness to travel and work in a global team of professionals.
Functions necessary to complete the above listed requirements of job description:
Computation Skills: Frequently
Lift/Carry 0-55 lbs: Occasionally
Reach Overhead: Occasionally
Use of Computer: Frequently
Verbal Communication: Frequently
Occasionally = 0-2 Hours Daily
Frequently = 3-5 Hours Daily
Continuously = 6-10 Hours Daily
We offer a Comprehensive Benefits Plan that includes the following:
- Medical, dental and vision coverage
- 401K program
- Flexible spending options
- Disability & Life Insurance packages
- Paid Vacation & Holidays
- Career advancement opportunities
- Wellness programs and discount fitness memberships
- Employee Assistance Program