Odell Brewing Company
ABOUT OUR WINE PROJECT
After 30 years of brewing award-winning craft beer, Odell Brewing is venturing into a new category with the launch of a wine project. Dedicated to the exploration of unique flavor profiles in the world of wine, this project was born out of the brewery’s shared passion for the art of winemaking.
We will be expanding our product offering to include wine by summer of 2020. The brewery will be opening a wine cellar and tasting room in a property adjacent to the Fort Collins brewery. We will be making, packaging, and serving wine on tap and in cans, with plans to distribute throughout the entire state of Colorado.
ABOUT ODELL BREWING
Since 1989 OBC has empowered a culture of family and collaboration, fostering a brewery full of beer centric people. It is this passion for beer that inspires us to create quality, handcrafted, and innovative brews. We’re committed to providing exceptional service to our customers while making positive contributions to co-workers and our community through outreach and charitable giving programs. We are the 23rd largest craft brewer in the United States, are independent, and family and employee owned.
Our collective leadership and independence empower us to build a culture of ownership where we contribute, educate, and innovate, while keeping Colorado at our core. Always Better
The Winemaker is responsible for oversight of all aspects of quality craft winemaking and contribution to strategic direction of the winery. This position will work closely with Odell production teams, guiding all grape, wine processing, and finishing operations. Planning and execution of crushing, fermentation, blending, finishing and storage of all products produced. Responsibilities may include special winemaking projects, inventory management, plan development, blend formulation, cellar SOP review and development, Winemaking Protocols (WMPs), sanitation monitoring and other duties assigned.
- Leads Sourcing, management, and processing of all grapes, bulk wine, receiving, wine production, and packaging operations
- Regularly schedule, organize and track inbound and outbound wine shipments, via tanker, totes and barrels
- Manage inventory levels of supplies and materials used in the production of wine
- Lead and develop the continuous improvement and innovation of the winemaking processes and procedures
- Set production schedules in line with the capabilities of the facility and the needs of the market
- Work with Product Development and projection teams to project the future product mix needs, Volumes, product blends, label compliance, and sensory teams for analytical specifications
- Perform sensory evaluations of wines with the ability to identify faults and potential problems
- Develops and Maintains accurate records of all winemaking activities and procedures
- Develop and implement SOPs for quality, safety, cleanliness/sanitation, and production
- Responsible for developing the highest quality standards and procedures in wine production
- Lead research projects, specialized wine programs, and other projects as needed
- Lead the development of blend specification sheets
- Responsible for understanding and complying with applicable quality, environmental and safety regulatory considerations.
- Complete transfer in bond paperwork ensuring accurate reporting and accounting on bonded storage and transfers to aid in TTB filings.
- Conducts occasional facility tours, private tastings, dosage and educates co-workers and winery guests/customers about winemaking and wine tasting
- Ensures the safety of guests and co-workers by maintaining a clean, safe, secure cellar and lab
- Works closely with tasting room co-workers to ensure smooth operation
- Willing and able to assist beer production when needed
- BS/MS in Fermentation Science, Viticulture and Enology, Biology or Chemistry or equivalent combined education and/or experience
- Minimum 5 years of wine industry experience
- Experience with starting a Winery and development of new processes, a plus
- Good organizational, supervisory and communication skills (verbal and written)
- Well-developed wine tasting skills
- Deep understanding of major aspects of winemaking, laboratory procedures, bottling and production workflow
- Knowledge of grapes, growing regions, and local production and marketing regulations
- Clear commitment to high quality and orientation to details
- Ability to work harmoniously with coworkers
- Able to work independently with minimum supervision
- Passionate and interest in Craft Beer culture
Work Environment/Physical Requirements
- Works outdoors/indoors
- Works in warm/cold climates
- Works in high places
- Works on wet surfaces
- Is exposed to loud noise, fumes and/or toxic chemicals
- Works near moving, mechanical parts and lift truck traffic
- Must be able to move up to 55 lbs
- Primary office environment may be warehouse/distribution setting
- Must have a valid driver's license and be able to drive a car and travel via plane/train as needed
- Must be able to work long hours, weekends, and holidays, especially during harvest season
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must be able to sit and/or stand for long periods of time and work on a computer for extended periods.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Odell Brewing offers a competitive compensation and benefit package.
Please submit your completed application, cover letter, and resume to email@example.com with “Winemaker” in the subject line.
Equal Opportunity Employer - Odell Brewing Company provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, marital status, sex, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy.