Director of Marketing
Position: Director of Marketing
Reports To: Sam Blankenship, President
**Please note, this job is based in our Carlsbad, CA office. Please do not apply unless you live within a reasonable commute. No relocation is provided**
Mamma Chia is a socially and environmentally responsible, Certified Women-Owned organic food and beverage company dedicated to offering delicious and high-quality plant-based superfoods and beverages powered by chia.
The recipient of several industry awards and recognition from industry experts at New Hope, BevNET and others, Mamma Chia is the category leader and creator of the first-to-market chia beverage and the No. 1 selling chia beverage in the US.
Led by our Founder and CEO, Janie Hoffman, Mamma Chia is well-positioned to yet again be a category disruptor as we prepare for a significant 2019/2020 new product launch into a brand new category along with a pipeline filled with multiple lines of thoughtful and forward-leaning innovation.
Mamma Chia is dedicated to honoring and uplifting both the soul of humanity and the soul of the planet. We are a Certified B Corp and a proud 1% for the Planet member.
The Director of Marketing develops and executes comprehensive marketing plans and programs, both short and long-range, to support sales, revenue, and profit objectives of the organization. The Director of Marketing will develop, direct, and champion the strategic role of the brand family by developing and executing national, local, and retailer-specific marketing programs along with sales strategies and tactics designed to grow brand health, market share, volume, and profitability. The Director of Marketing plays a key role in setting the roadmap for and commercializing new product innovation.
- Researches, analyzes and monitors financial, technological, and demographic factors along with syndicated data (SPINS, IRI) to capitalize on market opportunities and minimize effects of competitive activity
- Develops and manages marketing operating budget
- Plans and oversees advertising and promotion activities including print, online, electronic, and direct mail
- Generating innovative ideas and executing email campaigns, event marketing, press releases, ad placements, in-store design and merchandising, trade show execution, and overall PR plan
- Oversees the development and execution of product positioning, packaging, and pricing strategies to produce the highest possible long-term market share
- Development of social media marketing plans
- Oversees management, strategy, design, and promotions for d2c website (Wordpress/Shopify)
- Align resources and priorities consistent with the business strategy
- Ensures effective control of marketing results, and takes corrective action to guarantee that achievement of marketing objectives fall within designated budgets
- Monitors competitive products and marketing activities
- Owns relationship with and collaborates with any third-party partners such as PR agencies, freelance designers, shopper marketing contacts within retail partners, etc.
- Ability to successfully lead, guide, direct, and develop a team of marketing professionals to include one Social Media Manager, one National Marketing Manager, and one Creative Designer
- Bachelor’s degree is required; Master’s degree in Business Administration, Marketing, or related field is a plus
- Hard-working, self-motivated, ambitious, collaborative and flexible
- Thrives in a “do-what-it-takes”, entrepreneurial environment
- Minimum 6 years of experience in consumer packaged goods industry, preferably in Functional Beverages or “Better for You” food/beverage products - “category disruptor” experience a plus
- Data & Insights driven (SPINS, IRI, etc.) marketing experience and ability to understand and analyze category trends and metrics. Experience with Bedrock Analytics is a plus
- Experience with creating retailer specific Shopper Marketing programs and collaborating with in-house retailer agencies such as 8451 and Roundel.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail with the ability to effectively implement processes, establish priorities, and problem solve
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator) and Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint)
- Excellent written, verbal, and listening communication skills