Job Title: Cook
Reports to: Culinary Manager
Years of Experience: 2+
Location: Ventura, California
The café at Patagonia is an enlightened, adventurous home kitchen that provides nutritionally sound meals sourced as locally and organically as possible while inspired by global cuisines. As the Cook, you are part of the team responsible for ensuring high standards of efficiency, cleanliness, food quality and general services offered by the Café and attuned to the Company’s mission statement. Your responsibilities will include food preparation and execution of breakfast and lunch entrees, salad bar, and Grab ‘n Go items. High standards of cleanliness and sanitation must be kept and a ServSafe certification is required or can be obtained. Your role requires strong communication and teamwork skills, as well as flexibility with a varied schedule and assigned work duties. Ultimately, we are looking to hire someone committed to personifying our mission in your day-to-day work.
What You’ll Do
- Assist with food preparation in an accurate and timely fashion.
- Create and execute Salad Bar, Soup, Entrée, Grab N Go, or Special Menu ideas as needed.
- Utilize knife skills such as brunoise, julienne, and dicing.
- Utilize working culinary knowledge of food preparations such as vegetable stock, salad dressings, grilling, braising, sauces, FIFO, and time–temperature control.
- Assist daily with the maintenance of all cafe areas which includes constant cleaning, continuous organization and deep cleaning of general dining space, refrigerators, freezers and storage areas according to health and food safety standards.
- Stock all food selling areas, such as snacks and drinks, and assist in putting away supplies and daily orders in a timely and organized fashion
- Assist with Catering needs which may include preparation, execution, set up, breakdown, and follow up as needed.
- Maintain a positive and professional approach with coworkers and customers.
- May be assigned dishwashing, customer service, and other such tasks.
Experience You Bring
- 2+ years of high volume food prep experience.
- Working knowledge and understanding of culinary basics.
- Excellent customer service skills, in person, on the phone and in writing.
- Working knowledge of food safety and handling regulations.
- Accurate cash register and money handling skills.
- Must exhibit strong teamwork skills.
- Comfortable with team-based work structure; ability to demonstrate flexibility on the job.
- Demonstrates initiative, is conscientious and provides complete follow-through on areas of responsibility.
- Experience with large batch cooking is preferable.
- Knowledge and experience breaking down and portioning proteins is a plus.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds repeatedly
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to bend, squat, reach overhead, lift and chop repetitively throughout the day
- Wash dishes and clean wares as needed.
- Maintain a clean work environment which may include taking out recycling, washing dishes, and clean / sanitize surfaces.
- Work in a small physical space that can be loud at times.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.