Director of Marketing
Crafted in Vermont’s green mountains, Vermont Creamery’s line of fresh and aged goat cheeses, cultured butter, and crème fraîche have won hundreds of national and international awards. In their 35th year of business, Vermont Creamery supports a network of more than 17 family farms, promoting sustainable agriculture in the region. B Corp Certified in 2014, Vermont Creamery has been ranked one of “The Best Places to Work in Vermont,” by Vermont Business Magazine. Vermont Creamery is a subsidiary of Minnesota-based Land O’Lakes, Inc., one of America’s premier agribusiness and food companies.
We have an amazing opportunity for a Director of Marketing based in Websterville, Vermont. This is a key leadership role in our rapidly growing company to enable our brand strategy, lead our amazing team, support our innovation roadmap and B Corp mission.
This is an opportunity to lead a team of creative, agile marketers who bring entrepreneurial spirit in key marketing initiatives to increase brand awareness and drive national business growth. Not to mention enjoying delicious artisan cheeses and butter as an everyday perk while living in the bucolic Green Mountain hills of Vermont. Come join a company whose award-winning products are consciously crafted to love.
Under direction of the President, the Director of Marketing develops and executes strategic marketing initiatives to deliver on business, brand and product objectives in alignment with brand positioning and mission. Areas of responsibility include consumer, customer and shopper marketing strategy and program development, agency management, creative direction, managing communications activity including digital/social, events, brand partnerships and PR, and all aspects of marketing organization leadership, development and budget management. This position plays a key role in innovation products commercialization
The Director of Marketing is a member of the Business Leadership Team and participates in business-level strategic planning and leadership.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participate in business-level strategic planning. Demonstrate commitment and accountability to financial and brand goals.
- Provide business-wide expertise in areas of responsibility.
- Participate in bi-weekly Business Review Meetings, quarterly retreats and annual strategic planning processes.
- Proactively diagnose business opportunities/threats and recommend appropriate actions.
Marketing & Sales Strategy and Programs
- Develop, own and evolve annual marketing objectives, strategies and execution-based business and brand objectives.
- Interpret sales, category and competitive data and create effective tools and strategies to support business and marketing goals.
- Alongside sales leadership, craft national, regional and customer and shopper marketing programs to drive brand awareness and product velocity.
- Research and implement best-in-class marketing practices to grow program effectiveness and revenue.
- Manage effectively the marketing budget and provide financial analysis on key spend and campaign returns.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams at Vermont Creamery and Land O Lakes.
Campaign Management & Communication
- Manage relationship with full-service agency partner.
- Manage development and execution of effective integrated marketing campaigns and programs including measurement, ROI analysis and results reporting.
- In partnership with agency, build annual media plans that will deliver against brand and business objectives.
- Effectively leverage digital & social channels to drive brand awareness, engagement and revenue.
- Lead efforts in new product development positioning, consumer engagement and launch strategy.
- Lead creative team in production of all brand messages, collateral, packaging and video/photographic content. Ensure brand standards are met at every touchpoint.
- Enhance and protect the reputation of the business through Public Relations, influencer-based approaches, people, product and mission messaging.
- Enhance brand by fostering key partnerships with brands, organizations, events, influencers and retailers.
- Manage and attend key consumer and trade events.
- Plan and administer marketing budget and staffing resources in alignment with brand and business objectives.
- Provide departmental leadership by delivering direction, encouragement and evaluation of results.
- Train staff in new skills/tasks and coach towards attaining proficiency, higher skill levels and professional development.
- Foster culture of entrepreneurship, agility, creativity, collaboration and appreciation for sustainable good food and company mission.
Education and Experience:
- 5+ years of CPG marketing experience, preferably with food/beverage.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business or related field.
- Experience developing strategy and implementing specific marketing plans supporting brand, products, profit and mission business goals.
- Experience with a fast-growing brand gaining national footprint through retail distribution expansion and product innovation launches.
- Must be familiar with several channels of distribution, including conventional and natural retail, foodservice and club.
- Proven ability to lead, manage and motivate staff.
- Must have new product and platform launch expertise.
- Experience with managing marketing agencies, creative agencies, shopper and customer programs.
- Experience as a strategic-thought leader.
Competencies, Skills, and Knowledge:
- Solid analytical skills and ability to translate data into fact-based decision making to support strategic planning and marketing program implementation.
- Financial understanding of P&L.
- Strong passion for specialty food products and mission-led brands.
- Proactive self-starter; with a sense of urgency and ambitious mindset.
- Motivated by a fast-growing entrepreneurial business and a rapidly changing environment.
- Inspiring communicator, collaborator, and team builder to empower Creamery “bettermakers”.
- Agile with the ability to balance creative work and the efficient allocation of resources.
- Able to think strategically, execute tactically and wrap butter if needed.