Senior Vice President and General Manager - Spirits - Rippentrop
(Top Beverage Industry Executive Recruiting Firm)
Job Description General Manager - Spirits - Rippentrop
Not a Start-up!
The Global Senior Vice President and General Manager will be an exceptional manager and leader that will report directly to the Chairman/CEO (Operational), and COO (Functional). The mission is to relentlessly direct the profitable growth and expansion of a luxury brands franchise.
Responsible for working in conjunction with the board, define the long-term business vision, mission and strategy, personally leading all day-to-day activities, executive reporting, strategic direction, publicly represent the company, ongoing operations, financial performance and oversee the P&L, organizational leadership, build sales strategy, provide a leading voice in brand innovation, brand extension and new products launches, coordinate marketing campaigns with agencies, major supplier (Beam, Bacardi, Brown-Forman, Diageo, Remy Cointreau) distributors (SGWS) and the market, work closely with business partners in the US and overseas with the goal of expanding distribution, continually gain share of market, manage and increase distributor relationships, understand pricing models, logistics, inventory and supply management; understand and have relationships with key account buyers in all channels, have an understanding of adult beverage laws, manage program execution, and create a world class sales organization.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Executive level reporting; Company, major supplier experience (Beam, Bacardi, Brown-Forman, Diageo, Remy Cointreau), and distributors (SGWS).
- Personnel (direct oversight of employees, contractors, agencies).
- P&L (including budgeting, forecasting and ultimate delivery).
- Brand creative, marketing, sales, supply and innovation strategies.
- Work closely with the marketing team and agencies offering substantial input on all aspects of their work.
- Collaborate with agencies and staff in concept, plan, materials creation, budgeting, branding, positioning and budget/s approval.
- Approve all marketing materials and programs.
- Bring market intelligence, trade information, and sales together in assisting with the development of programs, budgets, and targeted marketing programs, designed to assist the sales teams with consumer recognition and purchase.
- Be present at all tradeshows and major marketing events.
- Provide innovative direction on social/digital marketing efforts.
Sales Strategy & Management
- Develop and drive the sales strategy.
- Forecasting, budgeting, critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Influence day-to-day sales activities working directly with Diageo (Executive level direction, “Top to bottom” communication and direction) in-person sales/distributor/partner meetings and in-field “work-withs,” and ensure current and future performance continues to yield strong results.
- Ensure that the franchise objectives and interests are met and exceeded by the Diageo organization.
- Personally build and maintain deep relationships with business partners and key accounts (on/off/chain/club, more).
- Evaluate and recommend selling strategies to the executive team based on categories, pricing, margin, profitability, platform, content, scope of deal, inventory requirements, customer comments and needs, advertising and other marketing programs, sales goals and long-term benefits.
- Provide energizing and charismatic leadership to inspire, motivate, manage and coach the team, partners and all those with a stake in the business’ success.
- Demonstrable comfort dealing effectively with people at all levels (including senior business and political leaders, celebrities and non-celebrities) and from a wide range of backgrounds and professions.
- Build and manage the executive level relationships with Southern Glazers Wine & Spirits, daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, annual distributor and partner meetings.
- Provide real time forecasting of sales revenue, pipeline reporting, and direct the creation of sales materials.
- Suggest and create a national organization to meet its various business challenges and actively manage the selection, development and retention of a highly capable and committed team.
- Suggest and create a national Brand Ambassador and local marketing managers in key markets.
- Communicate clearly the corporate vision and mission.
The ideal candidate will possess the following expertise, skills and experience:
- Successful spirits industry expert demonstrated by results, current relationships with distributor/key account/major supplier executives and an intimate knowledge of building spirits brands from scratch. Start-up brand experience a plus.
- Currently working directly for a major wine and spirits supplier.
- Senior executive national duties and international (preferred) and responsibilities.
- History of creating budgets, communicating goals, and achieving goals.
- Ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality, consistent discretion, sound judgment, and the highest professional ethics with outstanding diplomacy.
- Extremely aware of trade information, pricing, category management, production, inventory, distributor reports, competition, and other beverage industry information and how to read and decipher the information.
- Distributor management background.
- National sales and distributor channels.
- Aware of the legal restrictions, and understand how to manage, market, pricing rules, and history of managing Open and Control states.
- Minimum of 15 years of innovative management and success nationally in the Adult Beverage arena, including direct accountability for managing multi-million dollar P&Ls.
- Marketing experience – including social/digital media, e-commerce, trade shows, local targeted events, agency management, creating marketing programs, managing an in-house marketing team, competitive analysis, creating marketing materials, budgets, marketing calendars, and managing execution of programs.
- Proven start-up and/or brand building/brand extension, organization-building experience.
- Organized, results-oriented, and works well in a fast paced environment.
- Impeccable oral and written communication skills.
- College degree required; graduate degree a plus, or equivalent work experience.
This full-time position based in Los Angeles, California and working out of the Executive Office. You will be a “Road Warrior” with frequent travel. Executive Salary of $300,000 - $400,000 based on salary history+ benefits + more!
David Rippentrop (Executive Recruiter)
Senior Managing Partner, Americas Executive Beverage Consultancy