The Malthouse Supervisor is responsible for overseeing malting staff, resources, and various tasks within the malting and granary department, that include, but not limited to all aspects as follows: raw materials handling, process of malting and milling of grains, producing grist, wort production, fermentation monitoring, yeast handling and pitching, fulfilling orders and handling general sanitation.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Supervise malting department and conduct performance evaluations when necessary
- Monitor grain in all stages of the malting process
- Responsible for all production and quality at the malting facility
- Ensure all raw materials are on hand and of standard quality to achieve weekly and/or monthly production schedule
- Record malt processes data in production book and/or computer
- Take samples for laboratory analysis, and quality control of products using own senses especially smell and taste
- Monitor temperatures and quality of samples, making any necessary production adjustments
- Monitor all analytical and process data and make changes in proactive manner to ensure product quality is upheld
- Research and develop new malt recipes and products
- Responsible for the production of grist
- Keep up to date with developments in technology and methods in the industry
- Ability to introduce and implement new technology, methods, and procedures as this industry evolves and grows
- Required to operate, but not limited to, auto malter, kilns, roasters, and grain milling equipment on a daily basis; filter equipment and carbonate machines, as well as perform regular repairs on machinery
- Manage resources and staff to meet objectives
- Lead team to identify opportunities for cost reduction and efficiency in the malt plant
- Deliver malt, grist, and related products to clients
- Responsible for inputting finished product into inventory system and removing it from the inventory systems as orders are filled
- Perform necessary job functions within the granary
- Interact with suppliers, customers, vendors, department heads, etc. in a professional manner
- Responsible for executing safety initiatives and creating a safe working environment within department
- Perform all job functions within the structure described in the Employee Handbook of policies and procedures at Bently Heritage, LLC
- Report any deviations from standard practice, procedure, and/or maintenance issues to Supervisor, and when necessary to higher management
- Report to work as scheduled and on time.
- Other tasks or duties as assigned by supervision or management, that may be required to ensure the continued success of the company
Special Licenses and/or Certificates:
- High School Diploma or equivalent is required
- College or Vocational school degree in related field is preferred
- 2 – 4 years of malting or brewing experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Background in chemistry or lab processes is a plus
- Basic knowledge of personal computers and peripherals, word processing and spreadsheet software, e-mail and the Internet.
Other Skills and Qualifications:
- Demonstrates, understands, and coaches others on safety and follows the key essentials to safety as set forth by our safety resolution.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Valid driver's license with the ability to be insured under the Company’s insurance policy
- Strong mechanical background a plus.
- Proven ability to work with little to no supervision and follow directions.
- Precise and detail oriented.
- A team player and can effectively utilize the resources provided by the team/company.
- Must read and comprehend complex instructions, detailed correspondences and memos.
- Communicate information effectively in one-on-one, small, and large group situations to visitors, vendors, clients, tenants, and other employees of the company.
- Effectively carry out detailed and involved written or oral instructions.
- Professionally handle problems involving non-concrete variables in non-standardized situations.
- Build and leverage relationships with internal and external partners to achieve measurable business results.
- Exceptional Interpersonal and leadership skills to work with all levels of employees.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills; strong decision-making ability.
- Build and maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishments; to cooperate to resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive to others.
- Willingness to receive guidance and supervision; follow work rules, safety practices, work procedures; meet deadlines, punctuality and attendance standards; work mandatory overtime, etc.
What you'll love about working here:
- We promote coaching, teaching and learning. You'll expand your knowledge quickly in an open environment.
- Bently Heritage offers a benefit and compensation package that includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short and long-term disability, fitness reimbursement, 401(k) with employer matching, and a competitive salary.
To learn more about the malting facility, please visit our website.