Director of Operations / USDA Plant Manager
Wyoming Authentic Products
Title: Director of Operations & USDA Plant Manager
Reports To: CEO (307) 587-9841
Location: Wyoming Authentic Products Production Facility / Cody, Wyoming
About Wyoming Authentic Products:
- COMPANY: Founded in 2011, Wyoming Authentic Products (“WAP”) is a Premium All Natural Gourmet Angus Beef company based in Cody, Wyoming.
- MARKET: The Company sells fresh beef to local and regional markets via Sysco and value-added products (beef sticks & jerky) to large regional and national chains and distributors including 7-Eleven, Cracker Barrel, Walmart (regional), US Navy Exchanges, Natural Grocers, McLane, Core-Mark and others.
- VISION: To be the premiere company for All Natural, food-traceable branded beef products for the US and internationally, with cattle sourced exclusively from Wyoming’s pristine ranches back to the 1800’s. 100% of WAP’s beef is sourced from Wyoming ranches and all value-added products are processed in its own USDA processing plant. This model currently provides consistent high-quality, value-added products to over 7,500 retail locations across the US and Canada.
Job Purpose Summary:
- This position is responsible for the successful management and completion of all aspects of value-added beef production (beef sticks, bites, jerky).
- Inventory and plan ingredient needs from sales projections and production capacity.
- Inventory and plan packaging needs from sales projections and production capacity.
- Plan production needs from sales projections and current sales.
- Source and purchase ingredients.
- Gather, record and organize paper work for USDA HAACP and SQF Certification compliance
- Purchase factory supplies
- Hire, train, manage and inspire production employees.
- Establish and maintain appropriate levels of product inventory.
- Maintain financial oversight of production process
- Cost of Goods Sold
- Oversee and continually improve entire production process.
- Processes / Work Flow
- Grinding / Stuffing / Cutting / Cooking-Smoking / Packaging / Shipping
- Quality Control. HACCP. SQF Certification
- Processing and Packaging procedure monitoring for maximum quality per specifications by SKU
- Product recall traceability
- Food Safety Plan
Reports To (by title):
Travel: Estimated at 5% or less
FLSA Employment Status: Exempt
- College Degree Required
- Experience creating, evaluating, managing, and improving systems and processes in value-added meat processing
- Experience hiring, training, managing, & inspiring people
- Experience creating and managing budgets and financial models
- Must be adaptable and flexible (e.g. occasional work in plant as needed)
- Must be able to assess equipment for needed maintenance and/or repair needs
- Must be organized and analytical
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work independently, and as part of a team
- Excellent recordkeeping / documentation skills
Materials and Equipment Directly Used:
- Office equipment including: computers, printers, fax machines, copiers, etc.
- Cookers/Smokers and their respective computerized control panels
- Value-added meat processing equipment (e.g. beef/trim grinders, beef stick stuffers, beef jerky tumbling equipment, Multivac roll stock and vacuum/gas flush equipment)
Working Environment / Physical Demands:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions.
- Ability to work in wet and cold (40 t0 45 degrees F) environment for extended periods of time, as needed
- Requires prolonged sitting and standing, bending, stooping and climbing.
- Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity
- Requires lifting of 50 to 90 pounds of box beef cases, as needed. Requires exposure to machines, chemicals and solvents.
- Must understand vague and implicit instructions and react favorably in all work situations.
- Must be mentally adaptable and flexible in dealing with a variety of people.
- Emotional stability and personal maturity are important attributes in this position.
- Must be able to resolve problems, handle conflict and make decisions under pressure.
- Ability to give, receive, and analyze information, formulate work plans and prepare written materials and articulate goals and action plans.
- Must understand people and be able to communicate effectively.
Compensation commensurate with experience.