Director of National Accounts
At Deschutes Brewery, we unapologetically make award-winning, damn tasty beer. We take our beer seriously, but not ourselves. We are determined to innovate, challenge the status quo, and be thought leaders at every turn. Our company culture bonds us together and creates conditions for success. It is lived daily as a behavioral expression of our collective set of core values: Love It or Dump It, One Team One Dream, Blow Our Customers’ Minds, Time for Better Is Now, Celebrate, Crafted for Community and Own It! If you are on our team, it means you are part of creating something extraordinary. You’re part of Deschutes.
The Director of National Accounts is responsible for managing Deschutes Brewery’s retail sales business to targeted Key Accounts. This position will execute channel priorities and key marketing programs in key accounts to achieve annual business plan success. This position will effectively oversee and lead the National Account Team through driving distribution, promotional plans and budget objectives that align with Deschutes Breweries overall sales strategy.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drives strategic sales initiatives and programs in targeted key accounts to maximize Deschutes Brewery’s annual sales and profit plan.
- Establish go-to-market strategies that are aligned with priorities and annual business plan goals to deliver Sales/Distribution/Profit plan.
- Ensure Key Account plans are properly managed across designated franchise groups.
- Ensure effective communication across all stakeholders and build sales plans to address market opportunities.
- Oversees the selection, management, direction and development of direct reports across the National Account Team.
- Develops and executes performance measures including planning and assigning work/responsibilities, developing goals/objectives, and managing overall performance of the Key Accounts Team.
- Builds and maintains strong relationships with Deschutes Brewery core Key Account Customers.
- Assists in establishing Best-In-Class sales processes including a fact based, consultative selling approach and post-program recaps.
- Oversees development of professional sales presentations and actively direct the National Account Team on ways to continuously improve content and delivery to become a preferred vendor.
- Develops, targets and tracks all sales team budgets. Leads rigorous and frequent evaluation across team to ensure all resources including T&E and Marketing funds are deployed to generate highest ROI. Measures effectiveness of promotional and other volume, profit driving initiatives and suggests new approaches to overcome obstacles and improve impact on sales and financial results.
- Builds strong and effective relationships across entire Network including retailers, wholesalers and Deschutes Brewery associates. Communicate effectively with open and productive dialogue with all stakeholders regarding strategy, results and requested support. Act as a subject matter expert and segment champion while educating and motivating to deliver superior execution.
- Analyzes current and potential retail call points by reviewing key metrics and uncovering opportunities to grow volume.
- Prioritizes and focuses on strategic accounts that possess growth potential and significantly influence the brand preference of Deschutes Brewery’s target consumer demographic (Millennials, Gen X, Y and Z).
- Partners with Deschutes Brewery Insights & Analytics Manager to manage and disseminate all relative information from Deschutes syndicated data sources including VIP, Nielsen, IRI and any other third-party information. Provides market intelligence to continuously improve Deschutes’ approach to the Retail Vision. Provides needed insights and intelligence as requested.
- Works with V.P. of Sales and V.P of Marketing to select, operate and guide Deschutes Brewery’s participation in select retailer and industry events including chain, distributor meetings, annual conferences, etc.
- Performs additional duties and responsibilities as required.
Required Qualifications and Education:
- Bachelor's degree in business, marketing or related field.
- A minimum of ten years of progressive sales experience in the beverage alcohol industry.
- A minimum of five years’ experience managing a national sales team.
- A minimum of five years’ experience selling to national chain accounts.
- Have established business connections and relationships within the Grocery, C-Store, Drug, Mass and Club channels.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and coach individuals resulting in higher levels of performance.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong ability to multi-task, change priorities and achieve success with minimal amount of direction.
- Ability to effectively utilize business information reporting tools, especially Nielsen, VIP and Consumer Insights data.
- Computer literacy with the strong ability on applications including Microsoft Word, Power Point, Excel, and Outlook.
- Must live within a 1-hour drive to an international airport.
- Must be at least 21 years of age and possess a valid driver’s license.
- 4+years working in Craft Beer sales.
- Relevant master’s degree.