Mad River Distillers
Mad River Distillers is seeking an experienced and ambitious Director of Sales to help grow our business across all on and off-premise channels in the wholesale market. Territories include New England and New York, and the ideal hire is based within an hour of Boston.
Our Director of Sales is a leader in the field with distributor experience. The ability to be flexible, while still hitting sales goals is essential. The right person for this role will understand the brand and value building strong relationships with our wholesale partners, as well helping us dive deeper into existing markets and tap into underutilized sales opportunities. They will be instrumental in developing the expansion strategy for new markets.
A ‘no problems only solutions’ attitude is critical to our company culture. This role will be responsible for achieving the annual sales revenue and profit goals for Mad River Distillers, collaboratively set with management. The Director of Sales will also be responsible for sales and expense forecasting, as well as establishing sales goals by market and holding distributors accountable to sales metrics.
The Director of Sales will work closely with our President and Co-founder. The DOS will manage our network of in-store tasters, as well as our brand ambassadors in RI and MA, and will make recommendations for brand coverage in other markets.
Responsibilities include establishing relationships with on-premise and off-premise retail and restaurant accounts, soliciting orders from retail accounts, scheduling and execution promotional events, attending industry and distributor events and festivals to represent the brands and leading the sales team outside of Vermont.
About Mad River Distillers
Mad River Distillers is a craft distillery that mashes, ferments, distills and bottles whiskey, rum and brandy in two facilities in the Mad River Valley of Vermont. The distillery manages two additional tasting room, one in Waitsfield, VT, and the other in Burlington, VT. The Burlington location is the public face of the brand in Vermont, and has an extensive cocktail menu as well as bitters, barware, books and apparel for retail sale.
- Strong leadership, management and the driving force of the Wholesale Business
- Analyze, plan, manage and grow the business in the Northeast.
- Analyze potential markets for expansion.
- Prospect and open new independent accounts including chain accounts.
- As the company grows and hits sales goals, recruit, hire, train, evaluate, and manage a growing sales team as well as territory sales managers.
- Communicate biweekly with the rest of the team.
- Collaboratively set sales goals for distributors and evaluate their performance against these goals monthly, quarterly and annually.
- Oversee and manage expenses of our sales support team (tasters, brokers, merchandisers).
- Coordinate sales training for merchandising team and key distributors.
- Review distributor account placement and sales updates and compare performance to goals with team.
- Foster and manage relationships with new and existing customers by; participating in trade and distributor shows, customer planning meetings, leveraging customer specific programs where appropriate, work in-market with broker account managers to increase their knowledge of Mad River Distillers and to jointly work opportunities at points of availability and distribution.
- Development of regional sales incentive programs.
- Schedule and participate in market blitzes and promotions where possible.
- Conscientiously manage travel expenses and work within budget parameters.
- Attend national trade events, possibility for select international trade events.
What you need?
- 3-5 years of experience in a sales position within the beverage alcohol or CPG category
- Demonstrate expertise in a variety of the field's concepts, practices and procedures.
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal.
- Ability to communicate with management team remotely.
- Proficiency in MS Office suite, CRM software. Must be able to make a slide presentation and work in Excel.
- Business acumen, understands a P&L, able to prioritize programs based upon key financial criteria.
- Taking ownership and responsibility for actions, behaviors and contributions is an important part of our team culture.
- High energy and ‘no problems only solutions’ attitude.
- Resourceful and inventive.
- Glass is ‘half full not half empty’ disposition - we are a very upbeat brand and core, small team.
- Competitive - truly enjoys the thrill of the win.
- Must be able to effectively communicate to the customers, brokers, and within our company in an honest, transparent, and authentic way.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple things simultaneously and set priorities effectively.
- Available to travel and ability to work flexible hours when needed.
- Clean driving record, must pass a background check.
- Ability to lift 40 pounds.
- Must possess a strong understanding of distributor-based business models and networks, deep industry ties in the region are preferred.