Director of Trade Marketing & Business Development
Once Upon A Farm
- Once Upon a Farm is a rapidly growing, disruptive, organic food company that helps moms and dads keep their promise to provide the best nourishment for their children’s bodies and souls. Our mission is to nurture our children, each other, and the earth in order to pass along a healthier and happier world for the next generation.
- We craft the purest, most-nutritious and safest foods that will delight children of all ages. We currently offer best-selling lines of cold-pressed, organic baby food, smoothies, and applesauce in 10,000 retail stores in the US and are quickly expanding into other kid food categories.
- We are committed to fighting for and supporting efforts to drive positive social change and food justice for the benefit of moms, kids and families.
- We foster an entrepreneurial and collaborative culture that values humility, honesty, passion, positive social impact, and fun.
- We are looking for teammates who will live our mission and fuel passion in each other to make a positive difference every day.
We’re looking to hire a talented, self-motivated individual who will lead the Business Development and CPG Trade Marketing function, translating company objectives and strategies into sales and channel specific strategies and objectives to drive sustainable, profitable growth. Ensure that trade investment meets objectives across the portfolio to deliver brand short-term and long-term financial commitments. Manage across go-to-market processes – including customer business planning, new product launches, portfolio prioritization, supply chain allocations, marketplace price architecture – to influence business strategy and successful sales execution.
This position touches all areas of the business, and the right candidate will possess a highly collaborative communication style, an ability to form deep trusting relationships, and ability to navigate a fast-paced environment requiring prioritization and delivering against commitments to keep the business moving and developing.
Inside Sales/ Business Development:
- Key point of contact between Headquarters, Marketing, Operations, and Sales teams to streamline communications and ensure achievement of field sales objectives.
- Be the advocate for, and manager of, appropriate channel/customer trade requirements & ensure these are reflected in annual planning. Work with the field sales managers to ensure they are following trade guidelines, processes and procedures
- Gather and understand the key issues and opportunities for the channels & customers to be captured in the brand planning process, and then get after accomplishing those working hand in hand with the field in day-to-day execution of MAPS (Merchandising, Assortment, Pricing, and Shelving)
- Lead new customer set-up for internal systems (i.e. ERP, EDI, etc.) and manage the new customer/product set-up in industry systems including IX-One, 1WorldSync and PIRC
- Annual corporate AOP and quarterly re-forecast process sales lead and owner of trade inputs between gross to net
- Lead monthly consumption reviews to identify opportunities and challenges
- Lead the sales volume forecasting process across all channels of trade.
- Co-lead the S&OP process including sales forecast roll-up and cross-functional consensus demand planning forums
Trade Planning/TPM Implementation:
- Lead the development of annual trade planning processes including annual trade release, TPM integration, ongoing incremental trade requests and internal customer reviews
- Develop ongoing comprehensive opportunity analysis, including volume, funding and resource allocation considerations, while working back to secure internal alignment
- Ownership of Trade Planning tool including system adoption, co-development of field sales training, delegation of authority rights and audit leadership.
- Support the development of customer specific sell-in stories utilizing multiple sources of data (i.e. SPINS, POS, Retail Link, etc.)
- Co-lead recommendations for ongoing SKU rationalization and optimization at the customer level
- Work with sales and marketing teams to identify, target, and nurture developmental business opportunities that present great brand exposure opportunity for the company. New types of customers, new forms of product delivery, and incremental and on-brand opportunities for brand exposure and development.
- Build and maintain strong culture within team
- Set and communicate clear objectives for the team and individual team members
Education and Experience:
- 7+ years of CPG Sales experience or related functions, including trade marketing, broker management, direct customer selling experience, business development, category management and/or shopper marketing.
- BA or BS college degree
- Critical, analytical thinker with a proven ability to develop actionable insights
- Ability to think outside of the box and develop programs that may be new and different, but are on strategy and move performance needles
- Able to lead and build trust across disciplines; demonstrated leadership and strong cross functional collaboration skills
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines within specified time constraints and adapt to the unexpected.
- Strong analytical skills with syndicated data sources (Nielsen, Spins, IRI) and the ability to identify/convey causes and solutions – not just reporting the data
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal and presentation)
- Strong knowledge of Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Passion for natural and organic products
- Proactive self-starter; with sense of urgency to achieve results
- Quick study, flexible and willing to handle a fast paced, ever changing work environment
- Energetic and level headed, good at problem solving.
- Ability to operate in a team environment with a “can do” attitude
All business activities must be done in a way that underscores the social mission of Once Upon a Farm.