Research & Development Food Scientist
King Arthur Flour
The R&D Food Scientist is an engaged team player with deep knowledge of ingredients, and passion for baking and product development. The ability to be self-directed with proven working knowledge of food science, food safety, nutrition labeling, formulation and sensory science is essential to this role. The R&D Scientist will manage our sensory program, including training, shelf life determination and documentation to ensure R&D meets all SQF and FSMA requirements. This job includes sourcing, creating SOP’s and initial determination of ingredient acceptability following all FDA and King Arthur Flour Guidelines.
The R&D Scientist is key to the creation, evolution, enhancement and ultimately the improvement of our products. Additional activities include collecting and validating information to support the marketing of new products. This job consists of approximately 40% bench time, 60% computer work. The ability to work with ambiguity and be a detail orientated self-starter is key to success in this job.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Participate in the process of development, from ideation and formulation to commercialization, working cross functionally through product launch.
- Keep detailed test data and results in an organized and clear manner.
- Explore alternative products, ingredients and processing techniques to improve quality, yields, margins and the creation of innovative and value-added new products.
- Strong knowledge of shelf stability, food plant operations, food quality and laboratory testing of various food products. Serve as the science subject matter expert for the research and development team.
- Participate in daily team evaluations of products using sensory analysis, document testing results, provide recommendations for improvement and identify next steps for product completion.
- Organize sensory evaluation sessions, provide education and training to panel members and ensure that palatability testing is completed, ensuring the taste, texture and quality of new product formulations and ingredient substitutions meet objectives
- Assist Quality Assurance and Production Teams by documenting product development cycle and process controls, review new ingredients, and determine preliminary acceptability of ingredients for quality, food safety and SQF compliance requirements.
- Capable of creating FDA labels for products referencing the Federal Registry 121 and other regulatory bodies.
- Travel 10-20% of time to manufacturers to oversee test batches, attend tradeshows for ideation & sourcing, and technical conferences for development
Minimum job requirements
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Food Science, Culinary Arts, Chemistry, Agriculture or similar discipline
- Minimum of 4 years of food industry experience, including baking experience with a wide variety of baked goods
- Demonstrated understanding of FDA CFR 121 and requirements of FDA compliant packaging
- Experience working with Genesis or other nutrition labeling software system, ERP systems and Microsoft Office programs including Excel and PowerPoint
- Knowledgeable of HARPC and SQF requirements for product development and manufacturing environments.
- Formal training in sensory evaluation and palatability testing
- Good communication skills and the ability to work cross departmentally
- Attention to detail, strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple projects and bring projects to completion on time
- Must be able to taste all foods with no limitations
- Self-motivated and directed with an innate curiosity, takes joy in learning.
Success factors/competencies for this role
- Open to change, recommend actions for continuous improvement
- Think and act strategically, understand how role contributes to larger outcome
- Provide exemplary customer service to both internal and external customers
- Set high standards for oneself, meet deadlines
- Learn from mistakes, receptive to feedback
- Effective communicator, listen and respect others’ points of view
- Participate in team problem solving and decision making
- Maintain a positive attitude
- Community minded – get involved, volunteer
Physical requirements/work environment
- Physical requirements
- Ability to lift 20 pounds, heavier items with assist.
- Ability to stand for up to 7 hours with occasional breaks, for baking or process testing in manufacturing.
- Comfortable to sit for up to 8 hours at a desk/computer
- Work environment
- The day will be divided between computer work in a shared cubicle and a very active kitchen/bakery.
- Occasionally work in a manufacturing facility which may be cold, hot, loud or dusty.
- Understand that safety is everyone’s responsibility
- Responsible for providing a safe and ergonomically sound work environment, identifying unsafe conditions and correcting these conditions immediately
- Engaged in safety and compliance training programs and encourage 100% team participation in same
- Adhere to company-wide green norms, look for ways to reduce, reuse, recycle
- Educate oneself on KAF environmental campaigns
- Strive to continually improve and implement new processes to reduce our environmental impact
Uniform /daily dress
- Closed toe shoes with nonskid soles for kitchen/bakery or manufacturing work area
- Hair restrained (pulled back) during kitchen/bakery or manufacturing work
- Clothing appropriate for kitchen/bakery or manufacturing work
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law. King Arthur Flour provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities to allow individuals to participate in both the application process and during employment. Such individuals are encouraged to seek accommodations to allow them to meet the functions and requirements of the position.
Employee Signature: _____________________________________________ Date: _______________
Supervisor/Manager Signature: ____________________________________ Date: _______________